Aims And Vision
- To provide a rich and varied Art & Design educational experience for all our pupils based on the aims of the NI Curriculum
- To enrich each pupil’s sensory, artistic and creative awareness
- To develop skills of observation, imagination, independent thought and evaluation
- To make pupils aware of the relationship between their own work and that of artists, designers and craft workers of our own and other cultures
- To stimulate curiosity about the world around them.
Key Stage 3
All Year 8 – 10 pupils experience a double period of Art & Design per week. Throughout the three years we encourage pupils to research, gather and interpret information from a variety of sources. They will develop an appreciation of other Artists and Designers.
They will experience a wide variety of media including drawing and graphic mediums, print, ceramics, 3 dimensional work and lens based and digital media.
|YEAR 8||YEAR 9||YEAR 10|
|PORTRAITURE – CERAMICS
COLOUR THEORY – BIRDS & BIRDHOUSES – 3D CONSTRUCTION
|TREES – 3D MODELLING
SURREALISM – ICT – PHOTOSHOP
|FIGURE DRAWING – 3D WIRE
COGS & MECHANICS – PAINTING
Using a thematic approach pupils’ will be encouraged to express their individuality and creativity. All work undertaken will be evaluated and discussed in relation to their own and that of others.
Pupils who choose to study GCSE Art & Design follow the NI CCEA Specification, (a two year course) where they have opportunity to develop their creative, intellectual and artistic abilities.
They will be provided with stimulating and challenging opportunities to develop personal knowledge, understanding and skills through investigating, realising, experimenting and problem solving, which will contribute to their employability.
MOVING IMAGE ART is also a subject option provided at GCSE Level
|GCSE ART & DESIGN||TYPE OF ASSESSMENT|
|Pupils will produce work in 2D, 3D, fine art and design
|Unit 1: The Core Portfolio (Controlled Assessment)
Creative and individual work exploring the visual elements, experimenting with a wide range of media, materials, techniques and new technologies.
Pupils will spent four terms on the portfolio and when edited will contain no more than 20 A2 sheets.
Unit 2: Working to a stimulus
A creative investigation in response to a stimulus (set by CCEA), using a range of media, materials, processes and techniques in order to develop ideas into an outcome in fine art or design in either 2D or 3D. outcome is produced in a set period of 10 hours.
The study of Art and Design creates a pathway to a future career in the creative industries, pupils who choose to study the subject at AS/A2 Level build up on the skills and knowledge developed at GCSE and KS3, and prepares students for further study in Art and Design or a related study in a creative field.
AS/A2 PHOTOGRAPHY is also available as a separate subject at this level.
AS 1: EXPERIMENTAL PORTFOLIO
– An opportunity to freely demonstrate and communicate artistic interest, visual curiosity, personal skills and creativity through observational and experimental work.
AS 2: PERSONAL RESPONSE
– Presentation of a Final Outcome based on Portfolio work.
A2 1: PERSONAL & CRITICAL INVESTIGATION
– Written and practical work based on an idea, issue, concept or theme that is personal to the candidate.
A2 2: EXTERNALLY SET ASSIGNMENT
– An examination unit containing a choice of themes, allowing candidates increasing confidence and independence.